1. Travesty and Surrender Rule - The mercy rule will not be in effect until the 1 hour and 5 minute time limit is reached. However, a travesty rule of 25 runs after three innings will be in effect. The losing team may “surrender” before the time limit is reached, if they so choose.
2. The leagues will be divided into two divisions, if possible.
3. The first place teams in 40+ will be guaranteed an automatic berth in the Men’s Tournament of Champions.
4. Standings will be kept continuously. If teams are scheduled for games against the other division, those games will count in the standings.
5. Teams may bat as many players as desired, but only 10 may take the field defensively.
6. Courtesy runners are allowed. The player who made the previous out will become the courtesy runner. If that player is not physically capable of running, then the next healthy runner who made an out will be used. A player may be used as a courtesy runner once per inning.
7. Players are allowed to run to the backstop (to the right of home plate) when scoring. Home plate does not have to be touched to score a run.
8. If a player does touch home plate, he will be considered safe.
9. Pitching distance is 50' and the distance between bases is 70’.
10. A defensive player has the option to tag the runner or touch home plate.
11. A player may not slide at home plate. If a runner slides at home plate, he will be called out.
12. A line will be placed halfway between home and third base, perpendicular to the foul line. Once a player passes this line he must continue to home. If a player passes the halfway line and then returns top third base, he will be called out.
13. If a player runs into a defensive player who has contact with home plate, he is out and will be ejected from the game if the offense is flagrant.
14. THE RECREATION DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDS PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT FOR THE HEAD, GROIN AND LEGS FOR PITCHERS IN ALL OF OUR SOFTBALL LEAGUES.
Sports Office: 313-943-2355
Weather Line: 313-943-2350 (press 1, then press 4, then 1 for the Weather Line)
Service Desk: 313-943-2350 (press 1 for options, then press 0 for immediate service)
Recreation Supervisor (Sports & Parks)